Thursday, February 7, 2013

Gotta Start Somewhere

My name is Colton Powden and I'm a senior Communications major at Slippery Rock University looking to pursue a career in journalism. I've never had a blog before nor have I really ever read any blogs so I'm pretty new to the blogging world. I am creating this blog as part of a requirement for my New-Media Journalism class.

Before this class I never realized how big blogging is in journalism. I had always just thought of blogs as someone just spouting off about whatever they want trying to get attention. Through the first 2 weeks of this class I've already learned that blogging is a very important part of the journalism industry. From this class I am looking forward to learning more about blogging and other new forms of media so that I can have an understanding of how to utilize them for a future career in journalism.

One of my favorite forms of traditional news media is CNN. I first started looking at CNN my freshman year because of my International Relations class. In that class we looked at issues that faced the world and my professor would bring up CNN.com just about everyday to show us a specific story or a video. I like CNN because I like the way their site is set up, they have a good balance between articles and videos and I feel like they do a solid job of covering the news.

Bleacher Report is a form of new-media journalism that focuses on sports. I first found out about the site through Twitter, someone I followed re-tweeted a link to a story on their website. I see a lot of links to their site on Twitter and the more stories I read the more I started to like this site. I like this site because its all about sports and if you sign up for the site you can set up a list of your favorite teams to make finding news about your team easy.

I can be found on both Facebook and Twitter. I'm excited to get a start in blogging and other types of new-media journalism in this class as I prepare for a career in journalism.


No comments:

Post a Comment